Thursday, November 03, 2005

Tombcast

(here's my ultra late podcast)

Shownotes

Time
[00.25] – Introduction to Tombcast
[01.18] – Feedback Email
[01.33] – Tomb Raider 2 Demo
[02.36] – Audio walkthrough (first segment)
[12.52] – Soundtrack download
[13.11] – Interlude
[20.55] – Story telling (second segment)
[30.53] – Conclusion to Tombcast

Exegesis

Participatory culture has been of one whereby the roles and relationships between producers and consumers have blurred. Consumers sought to actively participate in their favourite movies, games and so forth. This podcast is one such example. It is called Tombcast, a podcast that discuss on any interesting issues relating to the game or its spin-off movies.

On creation, the aim was to start a string of episodes to Tombcast, rather then just a one-off episode. Therefore I started by hosting the first episode. Selection of topic discussions and activities are flexible, as to keep the podcast vibrant and full of random surprises for listeners. In this episode the objective are twofold.

The first part involves the participation of the listeners, by playing the demo game with my audio walkthrough. While walkthrough guides created by fans are not new, I try to take it one step further by doing it via podcast. The second part is a story narration of the same demo game. The story satirically tackles some of the questions that are commonly asked, such as the logic of the puzzles, the restrictions in the game and what Lara (player controlled character) is thinking.

In addition, participatory culture are also involve in the modification of existing materials, and regurgitating them into something new such as those song remixes and machinima. It was said that ‘at the center of Tomb Raider was a fantasy female character’. (Kennedy, 2002) I sought to challenge this belief by narrating my own version of Tomb Raider, and how I perceived her.

The producer of Tomb Raider construct Lara as sexy, brave and agile. Changing her voice to those similar to squeaky chipmunks and narrating her as extremely clumsy and dumb was my intention to change the perception of Lara. I had also included a music remix by Tomb Raider fans for interlude, as another demonstration of fan participation.

Reference

Kennedy.W Helen, 'Lara Croft: Feminist Icon or Cyberbimbo?', Game Studies, vol.2, issue.2, December 2002

Resources

[X] A1 Free Sound Effects
[X] Sounddogs.com
[X] PartnersInRhyme
[X] Planetlara

[iLecture/Lectopia Download - Mp3 - 42.9Mb]

[Tags: | | | | | | | ]

5 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

oooohhhh andrew, it may be uber late but its looks uber exciting!!!
:D
*hugs*

Thu. Nov. 03, 04:13:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Andrew said...

no way. ;(

I tried to sound really exciting and enthusiastic, but when I listen to the playback to what I said.....its just soooooooooo boring and monotonous. can't help it ;\

but thanks for the encouragement ;)

Fri. Nov. 04, 09:21:00 am 2005  
Blogger Gwyneth said...

Go Andrew! I was worried for a sec there. And I'm glad you went with Lara!

Fri. Nov. 04, 09:55:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Andrew said...

Yea, most amazing is that I did Lara's voice too! *chipmunk style* :p

Fri. Nov. 04, 10:00:00 pm 2005  
Blogger Hilary said...

hehe, I havent downloaded the demo yet , but I shall, im looking forward to following your instructions!!

I love the concept...hehe, your not monotonous...well I have only heard a little bit but im sure you arent :D

Sat. Nov. 05, 11:11:00 am 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home